Sunday 28 April 2013

Salticus scenicus and why I need extension tubes.

Salticus scenicus, house wall Sunday 28th April 2013.

Scalticus scenicus better known as the Zebra spider or jumping spider is a common site on most house walls in the spring and summer.  3-4mm in length I find their silken nests in the smallest 4mm holes drilled in my bee log.  However I have always have difficulty photographing them.  They are pretty active, don't stay still for very long and are quite small.  That added to the fact that my macro lens has a depth of field of about 1mm at such short distances leads to photographs that are not as pleasing as I would like.  Indeed, a modern Point and shoot camera with a good macro button may well take a better image than my bit of expensive kit. However I want to get a bit closer and get their eyes in focus, it makes for a colourful and interesting shot.  So, I'm going to try and get closer extension tubes are to be ordered. Theses will not give me any greater depth of field but I should be able to get a lot closer to my quarry. Watch this space. 



No comments:

Post a Comment